This section covers a few items of general interest about the scheme and your pension.

Data Protection

HSC Pension Services holds information about each scheme member on computer. In terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, you have the right to request and be given a copy of all the computerised information held about you.


Independent Financial Advice

If you are in any doubt which pension arrangement will be the best one for you, you should seek independent financial advice. Under the Financial Services Act of 2000 all financial advisers have to decide whether to be ‘independent’ or ‘tied’. A financial adviser who is independent can offer a range of financial services and products, whereas a financial adviser who is tied can only offer the products of one company. Before you ask for advice, make sure you know which type of adviser you are dealing with.

Most financial advisers will charge for their advice. The charge may be in the form of a fee payable by you or commission payable by any company which you decide to invest in. If the adviser you choose charges on a commission basis, you should ask how your investments will be affected by the charges.

Your employer may be able to help you find a source of independent financial advice, or you can contact FSA:

Financial Services Authority
25 The North Colonnade
Canary Wharf
E14 5HS
Telephone: 0207 066 1000